Day 6 - Bunratty to Birr
· Another quiet night - full Irish breakfast (again).
· Walked around the Bunratty Folk Park – numerous dwellings both original (moved there) and re-creations.
Castle Bunratty Guest Solarium Great Hall Elevated Sheila Na Gig
Haystack (fertility symbol)
· Left for Birr on the N7 to Roscrea, then north on the N62 to Birr. Encountered some waits for road construction (resurfacing).
· Checked into the County Arms Hotel (very nice place) and went for a walk.
· Toured the Castle Birr Desmesne. The third Earl of Rosse developed the largest telescope for it's time (seen below). There's also a raptor center (Woody, the Eagle Owl and a Harris Hawk shown below. We took a carriage ride around the grounds. The driver was Decklin Cleary (sp?) and Blaze - Blaze normally has a partner to help pull.
Castle Birr "Woody" Hawk Telescope Blaze & Decklin
· Ate supper at the Thatch Pub & Restaurant (per Decklin's recommendation). (mushrooms & filet mignon!) after a long walk, then to bed. Very warm in the room until we found the radiator control (duh!).
Ireland Home Day 7